" " " "" " Skip to content
With an emergent COVID-19 vaccine at least six months away (and no proof of its safety or effectiveness thus far), the burden falls on preventative medicine (through healthy lifestyle practices) and therapeutics to effectively intervene in the event of an infection.
While some treatments using conventional pharmaceuticals show promise, such as the co-administration of zinc, Z-pack, and hydroxychloroquine, we strongly believe (and the evidence suggests) that there is a place for homeopathic remedies in treating coronavirus patients.
Before discussing potential homeopathic remedies for COVID-19, it’s important to understand what the coronavirus is. As a recently discovered virus with no previous documentation of its precise molecular structure prior to its emergence in East-Central China, COVID-19 was originally termed a “novel coronavirus.”
“Coronavirus” is a colloquial term to refer to a family of viruses which has long been prevalent in humans. “Corona” is Latin for “crown” –a reference to the distinguishing “spikes” on these viruses. The characteristic “spikes” are actually functional features of the virus called peplomers, proteins on the surface of the virus.
A widely-used visual depiction of COVID-19, complete with the peplomer “spikes” on the surface.
Coronaviruses that trigger an immune response – and sometimes mild to severe illness – have been well-documented in humans since virologists identified them in the 1920s.
Many cases of the common cold are caused by coronaviruses. In addition, the members of this family of viruses include:
· Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV)
· Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
· Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV)
Coronaviruses can infect all mammals. In most instances where new (“novel”) coronaviruses emerge against which humans have not developed adaptive immunity (i.e., produced antibodies to neutralize the pathogen in vivo), the epidemiologists who investigate the source usually discover that it evolved and then “jumped” from lesser mammalian species, frequently bats, to infect humans.
Here, we’ll discuss the top prospective homeopathic treatments for coronaviruses that may prove effective in cases of COVID-19 infections.
Byronia, native to Eastern Europe and surrounding regions, is a flowering plant with a rich history of use in homeopathy to treat a variety of conditions, including arthritis, digestion issues, and, most relevantly, the common cold and flu symptoms.
The dry nature of Bryonia informs many of its applications in homeopathy.
The symptoms (just to name a few) that indicate homeopathic treatment with Bryonia include:
– Extreme weakness and fatigue, aggravation from any motion.
– Wants to be left alone, averse to being disturbed.
– Dry, hard, and painful cough.
– Dry mucous membranes and throat, cracked lips.
– Extreme thirst.
Another flowering plant, Gelsemium (its name stemming from the Latin word for “jasmine”) is a powerful homeopathic remedy for the common cold that may prove beneficial for COVID-19 patients.
The symptomatic features of Gelsemium that may indicate its use in COVID-19 patients include:
– Heaviness in body and limbs.
– Slow development of illness.
– Aversion to movement due to weakness and fatigue.
– Chills runninng up and down the spine.
– Severe congestive headache, ameliorated by urination.
Phosphorus is one of the most commonly used homeopathic remedies, including for the management of the common cold and flu.
In homeopathy, the characteristic symptoms of Phosphorus are:
– Anxiety and restlessness.
– Need for constant reassurance.
– Dry and violent cough, which can be very exhausting.
– Cough with pain in the chest.
– Cough is worse from talking, lying on left side, and in open air.
– Tremendous thirst for cold drinks.
In addition to the three treatments laid out here, the other potential homeopathic remedies to treat COVID-19 patients may include:
· Arsenicum album
· Baptisia tinctoria
· Eupatorium perfoliatum, and so many other remedies.
Experienced homeopathic practitioners are equipped with knowledge of plethora of homeopathic remeides that can be tailored to suit the individual symptoms of the patient. As such, seek personalized homeopathic care from an experienced provider for optimal results.
Also, if you would like to learn more, take a look at the following well-respected literature on the subject:
– A Physician’s Posy (Dr. Dorothy Shepherd)
– Pointers to the Common Remedies (Dr. Margaret Tyler)
It’s important to remember, that we advise to consult a professional medical practitioner before attempting to utilize any homeopathic remedy described here or elsewhere.